Thursday, March 10, 2011

Fitting an enlarger lens to bellows



I recently obtained set of Pentax auto-bellows, which I had been after for a while.  The automatic diaphragm isn't what I was after, it was more to find a home for a nice (although not valuable) 50mm Schneider enlarger lens that I have had for ages.






The assembly was easy once I had all the pieces - the enlarger lens was fitted to some sort of bolt-on flange.  I pulled an M42 screw mount off a dented Pentacon lens, and bought an ABS plastic pipe fitting from the hardware store.

ABS is nice because it's already black, and very easy to machine.  I spun a ring on the lathe that had an inside diameter that fit the enlarger lens and an outside diameter that matched the M42 mount.  It was assembled using screws scavenged from a cheap digital camera - I "drilled" holes using a candle, a pin, and a set of locking pliers: Clamp the pin in the pliers, press it against the plastic, and heat it over the candle - it will punch through very quickly.

I tested the setup with one of my film SLRs - a 2mm wide cord takes up about 1/5 of the frame, so it's certainly magnifying!  Once my M42 to Sony adapter arrives I will post some digital photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment